By Law, can you open or throw away other people’s mail if it is sent to your address?

I always do the right thing and return the letter to the post office but I know of people who routinely open then throw away these letter away. I've heard that this is illegal but sometime what you hear is really just rumor. I need more than hearsay, please let me know the source of your info, I've searched and can not find anything definitive.

According to 18 USC 1702: "Whoever takes any letter, postal card, or package out of any post office or any authorized depository for mail matter, or from any letter or mail carrier, or which has been in any post office or authorized depository, or in the custody of any letter or mail carrier, before it has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed, with design to obstruct the correspondence, or to pry into the business or secrets of another, or opens, secretes, embezzles, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both."

Basically, if you open or destroy someone else's mail before it gets to them, then you're guilty of this crime and could be imprisoned up to 5 years or fined.
No, you're supposed to mark it as an invalid address and put it back in your mailbox.
I think you can only open it if it has your name on it. Because addresses do change. This is legally speaking though.
No, You must give it back to the Post Office, I had the very same problem, exept the other way around. My mail was being opened by other people, So they had acsess to my Bank Account, and took my entire savings account, witch I got back from the Bank when I file robery.
Absolutely NOT!
By law, doing stuff like that could get u fined or imprisoned, I'll update this answer in 2 days.
You cannot open it if it is not addressed to you , current resident or occupant. What you are doing is correct. Cross out the name and address and put, "return to sender".
It's a federal crime to open mail that is not addressed to you.

The Answers post by the user, for information only, FreeLawAnswer does not guarantee the right.
Answer question:

More Law Questions & Answers...